27 Feb 2008

Types of Medical Students

At my job, i'll soon be training a new recruit who, hey presto, happens to be a medical student. He's a newbie and just got accepted into the course early this year. (I'm guessing that my boss' boss likes me so much that she hired a younger and newer prototype.)

It set me thinking about the kind of people who end up being medical students, especially since today at one of the private psychiatric clinics, the topic of personality traits of med students was brought up.

I have to say, this comic strip created by an anaesthetic resident basically sums it up.

Comic strip courtesy of The Underwear Drawer

Guess which one am i?

So as part of my psych training, i'm trying to piece together his "premorbid personality" from a few email correspondences.

Observations include:

1. Stressing that he's in medicine 3 times even after i already am aware of the fact.

2. Asking tonnes of questions and sending a flurry of replies promptly by the next day.

3. Worrying about exam period arrangements, which are 6 months away, before he even started the course.

At the risk of sounding like i'm stereotyping him, i think that he definitely has some obsessional, if not anal-retentive traits, in addition to a hint of a histrionic personality.

Fingers cross that he will turn out to be someone agreeable and my assessment proves to be incorrect. But seriously... what are the chances of the latter? *rapidly inflating ego of Jiin getting out of hand*

No comments: