1 Dec 2009

Ward Rounds

So i started gen med about 3 weeks ago. Day 1 was ghastly, i went through a total of 5 ward rounds/board rounds/handovers that horrific day. My heart sank as i thought about the rest of my 10 week rotation.

The first weekend, my ward round took 5.5 hours to complete. My face was a mask of stony disinterest and contempt, my back was aching from standing around too much, my ears were straining to hear a semblance of regard for the patient from the weekend consultant as my brain was trying and failing in deciphering a plan from all the nonsense he was spewing.

My co-intern is the son of my home team's consultant, who is too bright, cheery, talkative and hyperactive. He was so keen, eager and enthusiastic that we would fight for jobs to do. Many a times he would do things without updating me and we ended doubling up on the work. Despite all his good intentions and his congeniality, it felt suffocating.

Things started looking up last weekend when i was given a free reign to do my own ward rounds and deal with my patients in my own way, only requesting help from the reg and consultant if there was a problem. Sweet autonomy. Things went much smoother and faster.

On the weekend i watched my weekend buddy intern do a lumbar puncture and today, i got to do one myself. Red bloods cells in CSF: <1. Apparently something to gloat about among med circles. Yosh!

Finally a procedure! Hands on, no thoughts required. The essence of see one, do one, teach one.

So my conclusion, i think i really should have gone for a surgical job.

No comments: