4 Sept 2007

Newspapers

I remember that when i was 10, each night General #3+ would sit in his leather-backed arm chair in the living room, perusing the day's newspaper. The lights were out except for the spotlight which he uses specifically for reading newspapers.

I remember i would approach quietly, careful not to interrupt him and sieve thru the pile of newspapers on the ground for the only section relevant to a 10 year old - comics. I would sit on the sofa next to him or on the ground by his feet, reading in the shadows cast by the dim light.

I remember that General #3+ never talked to me during those sessions. When i was done reading the comics, i would read the other articles that i wasn't interested in, hoping that he would glance at me discretely. I would look at him once in awhile and hope to find acknowledgement on his face. After i've thoroughly bored myself to death i would finally get up and leave.

That was me trying to imitate him. Trying to acquire a similar pastime, trying to get his attention, his affection and his recognition of my efforts at trying to be like a grown up.

Would it have cost much, or been too troublesome or time consuming to turn to me and say, "I see you like reading newspapers too. It's a good habit, keep it up."?

No comments: