25 Aug 2008

Water Conservation

Lately, the topic of water conservation was brought to my attention because the water company called to do a survey and also, i'm moving to the country next year which is severely affected by a 10 year drought.

So i was doing pretty well on the water conservation survey, when the girl on the other end asked, "Do you take showers lasting 4 mins or less?"

"Well... no... it's about 10 mins." I said in embarrassment. Liar. In actual fact, it's probably closer to 20mins.

What?

I love my hot showers. It's a time when i can relax and let my brain unwind. I recap the events of the day and do a mental debriefing for my own benefit before filing away those thoughts and associated feelings. It's one part of the day when i don't have to think about what needs to be done, what i'm going to do next, where i have to be etc...

Can you imagine what it'll be like to limit myself to 4 min showers? I actually stuck a 4 min hour glass onto the bathroom wall and tried to stick to it.

My shower became a 4 min race against time to get out of the cubicle as quickly as possible. Another race. Sheesh! As if there aren't enough rat races i'm currently involved in already and i need to add one more stressful situation in my own bathroom.

So, yes... i need to do my part for the environment but... let me do it in my own stride. Perhaps i'll gradually become faster and be able to cut it down to 8mins, but that's as far as i'm willing to compromise. Well, if all else fails we can always rely on alternative methods right?

No comments: