25 Dec 2008

Garage Sale!

Secretly, i've always been apprehensive about garage sales.

Even though my neighbourhood has a fair amount of garage sales going on year round, when i pass by one, i've never stepped in despite my curiosity.

The thought of organising and holding a garage sale seemed like an insurmountable obstacle. The advertising is enough to evoke thoughts of burrying my head into a hole somewhere. Having strangers walking into the home and looking at my belongings brings a whole new level of anxiety.

One of my earliest mottos, way back from high school when i faced and conquered class tests and common tests by the dozens every week, is proven to hold true again: Desperation is the best motivation.

Having to move to the Country early next week, i am in dire need of getting rid of my furniture. So despite the nagging fear that my garage sale will be a total and utter flop, I've opened my home to strangers, thickened up my skin and plastered on a smile (thank you med school!) and I've sold off quite a number of big ticket items.

Now i understand how exhilarating it is to make a sale! *licking my fingers and counting $$$*

I guess garage sales ain't that bad afterall.

No comments: