9 Dec 2009

Queen of ABGs!

Things are looking up. I got to do a pleural tap last week. Woot! *Dances around in glee*

Another soft procedure that i've been having lots of chance to practice is taking arterial blood gases (ABG).

I recall the first time i had to do it was at the beginning of the year during my surgical rotation on a patient who had pancreatitis whom we needed to calculate Ranson and Gleason's score on. Initially, it would take me 2 tries before i managed to get that slippery artery.

Now, my first attempt success rate is 90%. Today, i managed to demonstrate my prowess when i got it at first go after my registrar had 3 failed attempts and co intern had 1.

Ahhh... the opportunity to gloat internally. Bliss.

Give me procedures! I live on procedures.

On other matters, Lai! I'm so jealous!!! Green, is the colour of my bile stained face. (Technically it should be yellow but let's not dwell on semantics.)

I'm counting down the remaining 6 weeks to the end of my rotation, contract and working year and the commencement of 3 weeks of glorious holidays. Time cannot fly by any faster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well done! proud of you!