22 Apr 2010

Where the heart belongs...

As my annual leave approaches, my thoughts meander around sunshine, warm balmy nights, the fragrance of freshly baked bread wafting tantalisingly from a bakery, smiles on familiar faces, a fervently wagging tail, swapping stories late into the night, gallivanting around town, speaking clumsily in a foreign tongue.

Ah... 2 weeks... so near and yet so far.

It seems strange how up to 5 years ago i was struggling with a sense of being uprooted. No longer tied to singapore, never belonging to malaysia and not remotely considering melbourne home. Being a student bestows a sense of transience, never really needing to think about the future beyond the coming year. Yet, as my student life has ended, the flow of events has led me to the present and my roots are getting progressively insidiously entrenched here.

I am no longer able to envision myself returning to singapore to further my career, even though whenever i return i'm hit with the strongest pang of homesickness. Thousands of what ifs flash through my head despite having gone through them multiple times in the past.

There are undoubtedly thoughts that are meant to left alone. Warm balmy nights, brilliant smiles and a wagging tail...

No comments: