11 Nov 2010

Humour me

As i'm currently trying to get back into night mode for ED, i unintentionally began to recall the times when i would stalk the dark hallways of the hospital, file in hand, humming a tune.

During daylight hours, there are at least a couple of hundred medical staff around the hospital, but once it hits night time, the numbers dwindle down to a handful. 3 in emergency, 2 in ICU and 4 on the wards.

It is isolating, lonely, somewhat unsupported and it can get scary very quickly. When a patient is crashing, there is only so much help available.

Lady Antebellum's Need You Now never sounded more appropriate:

It's a quarter after one
I'm all alone and I need you now.
I said I wouldn't call but I lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without
I just need you now.

That was the theme of many of my conversations to my registrar during those 8 weeks.

Enjoy the song :)

No comments: